A swim teacher in Georgia has tips for teaching children.
Swim Instructor Julie Bragg has taught children how to swim for 38 years. Bragg says, "I just love it, to be able to touch all these lives and to know that locked in every little human being is this desire to be independent."
Bragg says swimming is a natural skill and you can teach your child at home, here are some of her tips:
- start around 6 months or as soon as your baby can sit up
- use showers to allow them to get used to the water
- use a backyard pool to teach them how to breathe under water, instead of telling them to hold their breath
- help them float in the water horizontally
- buy an instructional book
Bragg says most importantly, don't use flotation devices. Bragg says it will teach your child to bob in the water vertically when they're born to swim horizontally.